I kinda disappeared after the last post. I meant to post more, I did, but it all got so hectic. Honestly, I wasn’t even aware we had to do a postmortem, so here I am, late as all hell, but hopefully it counts for something, and to anyone reading that might be curious, it gives some closure to the semester and what we’ll see going into the next.
I don’t quite know if there’s anything particularly expected out of it, so I’ll just cover what I know from my end.
First and foremost, our game went through. There were 23 teams, 18 of which presented, 16 of which demo’d (demo night was where teams that chose to show off their games actually showed them off, presentation night was just a final pitch to the faculty and other students; 2 of the teams that presented wished to show their progress but not attempt to go through), and 11 of which went through.
If you’re tracking other blogs, the 11 that went through are:
- Breakout Brew
- Dawn of the Celestialpod
- Forsaken Fish Fighters
- Frog Snatchers
- Lucha Megadrive
- Nautical Nonsense
- Protocol Aurora
- Sojourn (That’s us!)
- Toybox Shooter
We were incredibly happy to have made it through. A premature thanks to my entire team: Matt Makuch, Tucker Cole, Mike Andreula, and Ren Golis who were all so instrumental towards making this game to the state it is.
The following week was then scrambling to find people for our team. I won’t sugarcoat this post, it’s been me just free flowing my thoughts, and I’m going to keep it that way. We had a really tough time finding people who wanted to work on our game.
We had a lot of people who liked to PLAY our game, but not work on it. I’ve had time to think about why. I figure that it’s because a) it’s a puzzle game, which scares designers, and b) it’s not terribly exciting. It’s a slow paced thinking game, with design heavy work, and a lot of art assets required (to fill out the real world).
Long story short, we had a conflict with Protocol Aurora over a member. That led to a hectic weekend. But we solved it. They have 3 excellent level designers who are going to assist us making levels. It’s a joint venture in some regards, and certainly risky, but I feel confident going into it, it’s going to help both teams.
Finally, we figured out our new team. We went from 4 official team members (I say official because Ren is not “technically” on our team) to 8. We added 2 new designers, Sarah Weber and Joey Zika, as well as Amanda Ledwidge, our new artist, and Brandon Cote, my programming partner in crime.
We have a lot of big plans for Sojourn in the upcoming semester, including an art overhaul, expansion of systems and levels, and tentative plans for publishing. It’s gonna be a longer journey than the one we just took, because at least this time we’re starting with a project in mind, instead of choosing it by week 5.
I guess this was kind of a “looking forward,” but I think that’s alright.
Last thing to do is let you try Sojourn out for yourself. From everyone on Tierceron, we hope you enjoy.
But fair warning, it’s not too well optimized, so slower computers may experience some bugs. Gotta make some sacrifices with small amounts of time.